KatesCouch

KatesCouch

Ender's Game (Ender, Book 1)

Ender's Game - Orson Scott Card Unsettling, intense, but too good to put down for long. Card writes brilliantly of a frightening future, but, in the tradition of many great science fiction writers, this story raises as many questions about our past and present as it does about our future. I've heard that Card says there is no deeper meaning in this novel. My response would be there are many big questions right on the surface, whether he intended them or not. Such as: is survival more important than ethics or morality, is there such a thing as "the lessor of two evils", does turning the other cheek have more merit than we as a society give it, when and how does one stand up for oneself, what should and shouldn't a government decide for the individual? And that is not nearly a complete list.I should have read this years ago. (If you're wondering why I didn't, it's because of my silly stubborn streak that hates to read anything that anyone tells me I should - even if it's already something I think I'd like.)